Park Operations Laborer (Limited Hour)
Come work at a place where you have a direct impact on the quality of life for Kent residents, business owners and visitors alike!
Park Operations Temporary Laborer (Limited-Hour)
Hourly Rate: $14.00 - $18.00 per hour depending on experience
Hours: Limited Hour up to 28 hours per week. Schedule may vary based on work assignment.
**Open until filled. If you have technical difficulties, please feel free to call our office at (253) 856-5270 and we will do our best to assist you.**
The Park Operations seasonal positions are a key part of providing maintenance and services to sustain the City of Kent park system thru the year. The parks, athletic facilities and natural areas are host to a diverse community that enjoys a variety of recreational opportunities from sports leagues to BBQs. Park Operations seasonal staff increase the capacity of the Park Operations Division to provide regular maintenance and support to ensure that the public can enjoy the city’s parks and open spaces.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist Parks staff in routine grounds maintenance including, but not limited to, mowing, weed- eating, seeding, and fertilizing lawns; drag, line and prep sports fields; clean dugouts; perform routine landscaping including weeding and cleaning of shrub and flowerbeds; trail maintenance; clean restroom buildings using cleansers and disinfectants; garbage and litter control; clean walkways and other tasks as required; operate small tractors and small riding lawn mowers. Assist by supporting staff during special events and volunteer projects. Must be able to operate standard size pick-up and/or sedans with standard hand and foot controls
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to safely operate a variety of parks equipment includes vehicles, trailers, gas powered blowers, hedgers, line trimmers, and pressure washers.
- Ability to make decisions and work well with diverse staff and park patrons.
- Ability to work independently or without on-site supervision.
- Neatness, punctuality, and organizational skills.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse employees and citizens.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Observe defensive driving practices.
- Understand and adhere to safe work practices and procedures and to become familiar with division procedures including vehicle/equipment upkeep, utilization of proper personal protection equipment etc.
- Operate City vehicles in a proper and safe manner to transport personnel, materials, and miscellaneous equipment.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have a valid Washington State Driver's License and must be able to verify employment eligibility at time of hire; must have high school diploma or equivalent; must successfully pass the City's pre-employment substance abuse screening and driving record check; and must be at least 18 years of age. Applicants are subject to Washington State background check. Park maintenance experience and training preferred or any combination of experience related to landscape maintenance, building maintenance and working with the public.
The City of Kent is an Equal Opportunity Employer.