Salary: $33,624.00 - $40,968.00 Annually
- General Purpose
The City of Kent is currently accepting applications for the part-time, benefited position of Van Driver for the Senior Activity Center within the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department. The person in this position will work varying hours (around 30) each week. This position requires the ability to safely operate a passenger bus or van to transport individuals to and from the Senior Activity Center and on various other outings and field trips. The ideal candidate will be someone with exceptional interpersonal skills who really enjoys interacting with and assisting senior citizens. The possession of a valid commercial driver's license (CDL) is a requirement.
**Please note that you must attach your cover letter and resume to your application in order for your application to be considered complete. Uploading your resume to auto-fill portions of the application does not substitute for attaching it to your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered for this position. If you experience technical difficulties, please contact our office Monday-Friday, between 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM at (253) 856-5270 and we will do our best to assist you.**
This is a part-time, non-represented position that does provide benefits. This position is open until filled, with a first review of applications on March 6. Panel interviews will be conducted for this recruitment. No dates have been finalized for interviews at this time.
Under the direction of the Senior Activity Center Facility Manager or an assigned supervisor, operate a passenger bus or van to transport senior citizens to and from the Senior Activity Center and other designated locations.
Work is characterized by routine tasks involved in operating a passenger bus or a City passenger van safely to transport senior citizens to and from the Senior Center; assisting passengers in getting on and off the bus or van as needed; operating a handicap lift; and maintaining the bus or van in a safe and operating condition; working with supervisor in scheduling van or bus.
Work is performed under continuing supervision. Supervisor indicates what is to be done, limitations, quality and quantity of work expected, deadlines, and priority of assignments. Supervisor provides additional, specific instructions for new, difficult or unusual assignments. Incumbent carries out recurring assignments independently but refers deviations from procedures to supervisor for help or decision. Work is reviewed for technical accuracy and compliance with instructions or established procedure.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Operate a passenger bus or van to safely transport senior citizens to and from the Senior Activity Center.
Operate passenger buses and/or vans with handicap lifts; incumbent must be able to safely operate a handicap lift.
Collaborate with program staff on appropriate trip selection; destinations; activities
Transport senior citizens on scheduled outings and field trips; act as the trip escort, taking senior citizens to events, meals, etc. and handling money, tickets and other field trip related duties and responsibilities; account for all participants throughout the activity.
Operate passenger buses and/or vans safely and observe legal and defensive driving techniques. Select appropriate/safe parking or pick-up and drop-of areas
Assist passengers as needed in getting on and off the bus or van; provide quality customer service, information and assistance as requested.
Wash the vehicles and assure proper operation of safety equipment; gas vehicle daily; perform vehicle inspections before each trip; and report malfunctions according to established procedures.
Be prepared to administer first aid or manage a variety of emergencies common to trips and related activities.
Complete pre and post trip reporting; program evaluations.
Actively support the vision, mission, values and goals of the department and the City.
Perform related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Operation of a passenger bus and van
- Traffic signs, signals and applicable driving safety precautions and procedures
- Geographic locations and streets within the City of Kent
- Senior population specific needs and challenges (health, mobility, and memory).
- Applicable City policies, procedures, structure
- Applicable local, state and federal laws, codes, regulations and ordinances as it directly relates to the work performed
- Health and safety regulations
- Demonstrating effective interpersonal relations using tact, patience and courtesy
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing with diverse populations
- Operating a passenger bus or van safely and efficiently
- Legal and defensive driving practices
- Provide transportation for senior citizens
- Assist passengers getting on and off the bus and van
- Operate a handicap lift
- Maintain routine records related to van operation and servicing
- Assure proper operation of safety equipment and report malfunctions
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Meet schedules and timelines
- Read a map and locate destinations
- Exhibit a courteous, positive and friendly manner with passengers
- Work with diverse populations, communicate with non-English speakers,
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Education, Experience and Other Requirements
Education: High school diploma, or equivalent; and
Experience: Sufficient training and experience demonstrating knowledge and abilities listed in this specification.
Or: In place of the above combination, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual's knowledge, skill and ability to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington State driver's license
- Valid Commercial Driver's License
- Current First Aid/CPR Certification
- Must maintain an excellent driving record
- Must successfully complete the City's Defensive Driving Course
- Must successfully pass the City's pre-employment driver's records check
- Must successfully pass the City's pre-employment background check