- General Purpose
The City of Kent Human Resources department is looking for a new addition to their Benefits team! Human Resources is in the process of transitioning to a new Human Capital Management software solution and the person selected for this position will provide critical support to our employees as we implement and transition to the new software solution (Workday). The person selected for this position possesses a strong grasp of benefit and leave administration and is compelled to provide the highest level of customer service to our employees and their family members. Excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and exceptional analytical and problem solving skills are a must.
**A cover letter and resume are required with your online application in order for your application to be considered complete. Uploading your resume to auto-fill portions of the application does not automatically attach it to your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered for this position. Please note that you cannot attach documents to your application after it has been submitted. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your online application, please call our office at (253) 856-5270 and we will do our best to assist you.**
This is a term-limited temporary position with benefits that is funded through December 2022, pending Council approval. This position is open until filled with a first review taking place on October 15, 2020. A written exam may be utilized to better determine skills and qualifications. Ideally, this position will be filled by November 16, 2020.
The Human Resources department sets the stage for a confident, progressive and engaged employee experience with the City. The incumbent in this position will be an upbeat Ambassador for the City and this department by providing outstanding customer service to our valued employees and other stakeholders and partners.
Under the direction of the Human Resources Benefits Manager, the incumbent will perform a variety of technical and clerical level duties in order to assist with the development, implementation, and coordination of the City’s benefits, leave administration and administrative programs. Work is characterized by paraprofessional, specialized and technical duties in processing, researching, reporting and monitoring for compliance with applicable guidelines and regulations in support of programs within the Human Resources Department, with an emphasis in the employee benefits division. The incumbent is required to positively and effectively collaborate and communicate with employees, City departments, and external organizations on a variety of benefits and related human resources matters.
Work is performed under general supervision. Supervisor defines objectives, priorities, and deadlines; and assists incumbent with unusual situations, which do not have clear objectives or precedents. Incumbent plans and carries out assignments and processes problems and deviations in accordance with instructions, policies, procedures and/or accepted practices. Work is evaluated for technical soundness and conformity to practice and policy.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Process assigned employment-related transactions; audit and maintain information in Human Resources-related systems (i.e. HRIS); compile, research, verify, recommend and correct data; perform calculations and prepare summaries, charts and other reports.
Assist employees with federal, state and City leave management programs; discuss and maintain confidential information regarding appropriate use of leave; communicate policies and practices of leave management under guidance of more senior team members.
Maintain electronic and hard copy filing systems, including establishing, updating, retaining, purging, and indexing to provide organization and retrieval of information following established record retention guidelines.
Maintain and audit employee personnel and benefits files in accordance with city policies and government retention regulations.
Assist with the scheduling, organizing, coordinating, taking minutes at Board and Committee meetings; assist with employee programs such as the Recognition Program, COBRA and ORCA Administration and event coordination such as the Health Fair, Biometrics, and Flu Shot events.
Provide a positive experience for onboarding activities, such as scheduling, organizing, collaborating with stakeholders, gathering materials and presenting information; assist with of new hire and employment related paperwork, tracking, and reporting.
Assist with benefits Open Enrollment activities.
Perform data entry of benefits carriers and enrollment audits; assist with benefit plans’ invoice reconciliation and present for approval.
Assist the Department Director’s and Benefits Manager’s efforts to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and other requirements.
Communicate a wide variety of routine and basic information to employees and the public.
Update and maintain the Benefits team’s presence on electronic platforms (i.e. Sharepoint, Teams), including ensuring all pages and links are up to date.
Assist with HR-related audits of pre- and post-payroll processing.
Actively support the vision, mission, values, and goals of the department and the City.
Perform related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
SUCCESSFUL INCUMBENTS FOR THIS POSITION WILL HAVE THE:
- Ability to set a positive example of outstanding customer service to our valued employees and customers
- Ability to perform effectively as a team member
- Knowledge of rules, regulations, policies, procedures and programs of human resources
- Knowledge of benefit programs, terminology, and practices
- Knowledge of federal and state leave laws and regulations
- Knowledge of research projects and methods to compile information, define and resolve issues, and analyze data to determine potential issues and recommend solutions
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment including personal computers and related software such as word processing and spreadsheets programs
- Knowledge of accurate creation, maintenance and retention of personnel records
- Knowledge of effective oral and written communication skills using appropriate grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Able to effectively use interpersonal skills in a tactful, patient, and courteous manner
- Ability to establish and maintain trust, confidence, and effective working relationships with all customers
- Ability to work independently and make decisions within established guidelines
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and organize work to meet schedules and timelines
- Ability to respond quickly to inquiries and issues
- Ability to compose, proofread, and edit general correspondence, and routine reports
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action
- Ability to pass a position-relevant background check
- Education, Experience and Other Requirements
SKILLS FOR THE POSITION MAY BE GAINED THROUGH EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, RELEVANT JOB EXPERIENCE or a COMBINATION, SUCH AS:
High school diploma, or equivalent, supplemented by two (2) years of college level course work or training in Human Resources, or a related field.
Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP), SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP), or Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS)
Two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience in human resources, such as employee benefits and leave management