Natural Resource Aid
Come work at a place where you have a direct impact on the quality of life for Kent residents, business owners and visitors alike!
Natural Resource Aid
This position will be working with the Natural Resource Specialist to provide maintenance support to the natural areas in the City of Kent park system including Mill Creek Canyon, Clark Lake, Lake Fenwick and other locations. An ideal candidate has an interest in natural area maintenance and management, possesses general park maintenance skills and knowledge and trail maintenance techniques and knowledge. Familiarity with native plant species of the Pacific NW and invasive plants is also desirable. This position requires excellent communication skills, customer service skills, and ability to work with limited supervision in a team setting.
General duties and responsibilities
- Perform trail inspections, trail maintenance, debris/garbage removal, vegetation control, volunteer event support
- Provide support to the Natural Resource specialist in the form of direct assigned work, collaborating on work planning, site planning
- Document work as required to report illegal encampments, trail inspections, potential hazards (hazard trees, debris), etc.
- Hike designated trails checking for illegal encampments, debris, trail condition, and any environmental safety hazards.
- Inspect trails for maintenance. Examples include removal of brush, invasive plants, damage from water runoff, illicit use, document trail conditions as required.
- Basic trail repairs. Examples including repair of damage from water runoff using best management practices, repair/replace boards on boardwalks, bridges, replenish soft surfacing.
- Signage, posting inspection and repairs. Examples include repair/replacement of trail signs, signposts
- General debris/garbage removal including debris from abandoned homeless shelters
- Identify casual trails for removal/mitigation
- Maneuver in steep and densely forested terrain.
- Physically able to hike hours at a time with heavy loads up to 50lbs.
- Understand and perform basic natural area pruning
- Understand and perform basic trail maintenance
- Able to assist with trail construction.
- Perform specific tasks with limited supervision.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Education: Graduation from high school, general education degree (GED), or equivalent,
Experience: Experience in the maintenance of parks, trails, natural area restoration or related areas of work preferred
Or: In place of the above requirements, the incumbent may possess any combination of relevant education and experience which would demonstrate the individual’s knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties listed above.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington State Driver's License, or the ability to obtain within thirty (30) days of employment
- Must successfully pass the City's pre-employment driver's records check and maintain an excellent driving record
- Must successfully pass the City's pre-employment substance abuse screening
- New employees are subject to criminal background checks
The City of Kent is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: R164